Romanic.

>Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:19:36 -0400
From: Jacques Deh=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9e?= <[log in to unmask]>
[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Auxlang > Eurolang > Romaling

>Dear Wei Chang,
>Jay Bowks wrote in 1997:
> I rather would see another term used for Euroclones
>or Occidentally based Conlangs, because as has been pointed out many times
>in this list--that I have seen in the short time I have been subscribed to
> it--the original languages on which many of the Auxlangs that have sprung
> up from fertile linguistic minds find suitable ground to base their roots
> is definitely from Europe.

Fact, of course. But not all is Roma-centric.

>But isn't it the case that though North and
>South America are continents in themselves, the predominant
>language is of European background?

This is the fact.

> Africa with all its diverse and exotic linguistic
> diversity, was it not colonized and taught a few Euro-based languages of
>colonization? French, Spanish, German, English, Dutch, Portuguese.

Also Arabic. Some Italian too. But majority in Africa do not
speak a European language.

>And of
>course all these also show themselves throughout Asia and Oceania.
> Australians definitely speak something akin to English, I think. :^)

Oh, yes. Even most aborigines.

>So could someone come up with a rather not so "culpative" (is that a term?)
>form of the word for a Euroclone?

Culpative? What guilt has a language term? Euro- is
only a localizer. Not an insult.

> After all I hope we all have more than
> the unification of Europe in mind when we Conlang in earnest.

I see now less evidence of this[in reality, if not theory].

> As is the
> case with the majority of postings, much gets talked about other than the

>European'icity of Auxlangs. I sincerely hope projects like Bahasan develop

Also Dunia and many others in the past. Seem none on Auxlang
recently. Maybe this is only an impression, since i have not
lurked for months.

>more and more, I find it intreguing enough. But I also hope the
Universality
> of originally European languages

not "universality", but "widespreadness". Yes

> is acknowledged in any
> Auxlang for use throughout the world. :^) Since, Jay B.

I do not disagree [with that big change]. Don't forget
there are many widespread words that are NOT in Europe. And
there are MANY meanings with no one related word among all
or most of the languages inside Europe.

>*******
> Dear Wei Chang, this text sounds for me like a 6 years old
> answer to you, a very well written one, in my opinion.
>*******
> Best regards, Jacques
>*******

Yes, it applies. But it is 6 years old. Who on Auxlang now is
working on such--or even mentioning the matter to all
the Romanic enthusiasts?

 "." CHANG Wei

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com