Henrik Theiling scripsit:
> Hi!
>
> Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > In my 'lect, _mannar_ is the pl of _man_ when it means something
> > like "underling". An officer's soldiers are his _mannar_, f'rinstance. It
> > would sound strange, to my ears, to use it as a vocative.
> >
> > I think German _Mannen_ has a similar distribution. Native Germanophones?
>
> Yes, exactly, I think.

And how does an officer get the attention of his men when he wants ot
address them in a group, if this can't be used as a vocative?  In English,
the natural expression is "Men!".

--
John Cowan       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        <[log in to unmask]>
                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)