Andreas Johansson scripsit:

# Decimanos autem Romae cum ingentibus minis summoque etiam urbis
# periculo missionem et praemia flagitantes, ardente tunc in Africa bello,
# neque adire cunctatus est, quamquam deterrentibus amicis, neque dimittere;
# sed una voce, qua 'Quirites' eos pro militibus appellarat, tam facile
# circumegit et flexit, ut ei milites esse confestim responderint et quamvis
# recusantem ultro in Africam sint secuti; ac sic quoque seditiosissimum
# quemque et praedae et agri destinati tertia parte multavit.

> Latin is essentially a language that Andreas does not know ...
> Would you happen to have a translation of this piece at hand?

Rolfe's translation (who Rolfe may be, I do not know), with a few fixes:

# Again at Rome, when the men of the Tenth Legion clamored for their
# discharge and rewards with terrible threats and no little peril to the
# city, though the war in Africa was then raging, he did not hesitate to
# appear before them, against the advice of his friends, and to disband
# them. But with a single word, calling them "citizens," instead of
# "soldiers," he easily brought them round and bent them to his will;
# for they at once replied that they were his "soldiers" and insisted on
# following him to Africa, although he refused their service. Even then
# he punished the most insubordinate by the loss of a third part of the
# plunder and of the land intended for them.

Note particularly this bit from the dictionary definition:

# the term ["Quirites"] implied civilians, while Romani was
# regarded as the name of warriors and rulers.

--
"They tried to pierce your heart                John Cowan
with a Morgul-knife that remains in the         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan