I'm writing from the perspective of a client working with a company who is
using TEI Lite DTD and has some modifications to make.

My impression -- albeit a simplistic one -- is that TEI copyrights the
contents of the TEI DTD and allows modifications to be done in external
files.  Yet it seems like projects that use TEI end up modifying the DTD
itself.  For instance, both of the sample projects on the TEI website --
the Emblem Project Utrecht and the Brown University Women Writers Project
-- describe how they modify TEI DTD (and claim it conforms to TEI
Guidelines), rename the file as something else, and the DTDs seem no longer
to bear the TEI copyright notice.  I'm told this has been the customary
practice for digital text projects.

1. I want to hear, first of all, whether I'm misunderstanding what TEI expects.

2. If not, what is TEI's feeling about the way people are using TEI?  Are
projects not handling TEI like it's intended?  Or am I reading this like
the proverbial mattress tag.

3. How do project directors view this? Are you making modifications
according to guidelines or are there necessary deviations?

I hope to hear some valuable input within the day to help us with our
decisions regarding this.

-- Tim

Timothy W. Seid, Ph.D.
Project Director, Digital Quaker Collection
Associate Dean of Distributed Learning, ESR Access
Earlham School of Religion, Richmond, IN 47374
765-983-1588