While I entirely agree with Michael's conclusions -- that (a) hacking the
source representation of an XML document is just asking for trouble and (b)
that there really are a lot of tools around for people who already know perl
and want to use perl to cope with XML -- I  think that  learning to use XSLT
is a better route for those who already know XML and want to do some
processing of  it beyond just making it look nice.  Once you've got your
head round it, XSLT is simply light years away from the kind of bit
twiddling and mode mungeing that characterizes perl programming.

Ooops, I hope I haven't ignited a "which programming language rules"
flamewar...

Lou