I'm proofing a final draft of an edition of an Old English poem. I'm
working now on the header(s). My question involves how others have
treated original electronic compositions: as a single book or a
collection of files?

This edition has the usual sections you'd expect to find in any print
edition: preface, TOC, introductory chapters, texts, glossary,
bibliography, appendices, etc.. In compiling the project, I've worked
with each discrete chapter, text or front/back matter unit as a separate
file, with its own minimal header. Sections are also grouped into
distinct directories. In designing the text, the "book" has really
consisted of the collection of directories and files rather than any
single file.

Now that I come to describe the work as I whole, I'm not quite sure how
to proceed.  On the one hand it isn't a corpus or a composite text as
these seem to be explained in P4; on the other it is not clear to me
where I would describe the project as a whole.  Would people recommend
for archival purposes collapsing the whole project into a single file
with multiple divs; treating it as a group with multiple texts; a corpus
with multiple tei.2s? Or is there a way of supplying a global teiheader
for the "document" as it actually exists right now: as a series of
discrete files in various subdirectories of a single deck? Two apparent
solutions, adding a project-oriented headers to the top file in the
project or composing an independent header for the project as a whole
don't seem quite right, since the former solution would involve
misrepresenting the file to which the header is actually attached and
independent headers as I understand them are supposed to mirror real
document headers.

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD