There is a formal definition in the TEI Guidelines of what constitutes
conformance. It states that you should modify the DTDs using the
modification mechanism defined in the Guidelines, inter alia, and that is
what an application which claims to be TEI conformant should do.

The copyright question is orthogonal to that. We are now releasing the TEI
DTD fragments under the GPL, but not all the examples on the website are
fully up to date with that, which is why you may not see appropriate
copyright statements in some of the examples.

What's the proverbial mattress tag?