Andreas Johansson scripsit:

> Not that I'm sure what it means to exist bluely, but I can think situations
> where a distinction would be handy. F'rinstance, someone that believes in the
> spiritual beneficacy of giving alms, but does not want to be in need of them
> him/herself, might reject the assertion "poverty is desirable", but agree
> that "poverty exists desirably", ie that "the existence of poverty is
> desirable".

I think that "poverty" is really being used polysemously there quite
independent of the verb.  In your "poverty is desirable", "poverty"
is a nominalization of "I am poor", whereas in your "poverty exists
desirably", it is a nominalization of "someone is poor".

--
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;      John Cowan
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;       [log in to unmask]