At 09:33 01/07/03, Chris Bates <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>What is the actual difference between the brains of left and right
>handed people? I've heard "in left handed people the right hemisphere is
>dominant and in right handed people the left " which I think is true,
>but what other common differences are there? Or is it all just too
>random to say? I'm asking because I'm left handed... thinking about it,
>I actually had to have speech therapy to learn how to pronounce T and D
>(english th), I couldn't pronounce them for the life of me until after I
>started school, which means I was older than 5 at the time... can't
>remember how old I was when I started. But anyway, the thing about where
>and how languages are processed just made me wonder if left handers have
>problems like that more commonly than right handers or not.

Well, not pronouncing T and D is nothing unusual.  I'm right-handed, and
the teacher called me aside when I was 5 to teach me to say them ("stick
your tongue between your teeth.... don't worry, it's not rude").  Come to
that, I can remember that when I was 4 (or maybe 3) I did not even
distinguish them aurally: I remember thinking that it was a very bad design
that "free" and "three" sounded the same, given that they both occur in the
context of prices.

Ian