On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 09:59:07AM +0100, Peter Bleackley wrote:
> I pronounce "book", "look", and "Took" to rhyme with "spook". This would be
> normal in northern English pronunciations.

Okay, but how do you pronounce "spook"?  :)

A contrasting pair in my speech is "look" (which which "book" rhymes)
and "Luke" (with which "spook" rhymes).  I have personally always pronounced
Took to rhyme with the former.  Which I thought was how at least Gandalf
pronounced it in the movies, but that could just be because that's what
I was expecting to hear.

-Mark