Mark J. Reed scripsit:

> Okay, my goal is to design a family of languages that all descend
> from PIE, but have been completely isolated from all other
> members of that family for the past few tens of millennia

The time depth of PIE is only about 6000 years.

> So, my question: apart from the common vocabulary roots, are there
> any grammatical tendencies that are present more often in PIE
> languages than in non-PIE languages?

Generally speaking, I'd expect to see SOV, inflecting, a fair number
of noun cases, three genders, plenty of tenses, adjectives noun-like.
But just about all of these features can and do change in later history:
they are what we get by extrapolating from the oldest available languages
in each branch.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        [log in to unmask]
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan