Ian Spackman sikyal:

> At 23:33 17/07/03, Thomas Wierwrote:
> >Quoting JS Bangs <[log in to unmask]>:
> >
> >[writing of weird languages:]
> > > E.g. Georgian's consonant clusters, those three
> > > OSV languages, Berber's syllabic stops, the "monster raving loony
> > > language", etc.
> >
> >Although it should be mentioned that these Berber syllabic stops
> >are only phonologically, not phonetically, syllabic.  (Whatever it
> >might mean to be phonetically syllabic.) There is an audible, but
> >very short, schwa in words with them.
>
> Oh, how disappointing.

Indeed. Do you have or know of a recording, Thomas? I would like to hear
it from myself.

I had heard from a different source that the phonetic correlate was
length, but tiny epenthetic schwas is more likely.

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"