On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Andreas Johansson wrote:

> Quoting Estel Telcontar <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > Perhaps it has to do with syllable boundaries? I'm guessing that in
> > _ignorera_ there is a syllable break between the "g" ([g] or [N]) and
> > the "n", while _ugn_ is all one syllable.
>
> Nice theory, which unfortunately founders on _ugnar_ ['8Nnar] "owens".

I presume you mean 'own' (have, possesse) (one syllable). 'Owen' (two
syllables) is a name.

> Another weird twist; when my brother attempts to mimic my pronunciation, he
> ends up with [INgure:ra]. What the?!?

When mimicking other people's pronounciations, people sometimes get it
wrong. Or make it worse than it really is. Like the way Americans get
Australian English *horribly* wrong. And we probably do worse to American
English. Especially when they think your pronunciation is wrong.

--
Tristan                         <[log in to unmask]>

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a
dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
                -- Snoopy