On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:00:45 +0100 Peter Bleackley
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> What are "emphatic" consonants? The Language Construction Kit says
> "Don't ask", but that only makes me want to know even more!
> Pete
-

"Emphatic" is a general term for a category of consonant phonemes in the
Semitic language family that differ in some back-of-the-throat way from
the others.  In some languages they're glottalized ejectives, while in
others they're pharyngealized.  For instance, the |S| in "Saddam" isn't
the Arabic consonant |siin| /s/, but |Saad| /s_?\/ (pharyngealized s).

-Stephen (Steg)
 "salaam, `aleinu ve`al kol ha`olam..."