--- On Mon 07/21, Christophe Grandsire < [log in to unmask] > wrote:From: Christophe Grandsire [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:37:19 +0200Subject: Re: Mapwords

"En réponse à Peter Bleackley :
>The recent discussion of parts of speech has inspired this idea for a very
>weird one.
>>A mapword is a word whose entire purpose is to define the grammatical
>structure of a sentence. It is a polysynthetic compound of particles, each
>morpheme corresponding to the function, role and gramatical relations of
>the words following it. Each sentence begins with such a monstrosity, the
>rest of the sentence consisting of isolating semantic words which are its
>arguments. Here's an example (in English gloss).
>>n-pat.adj-attri b-pat-sup.vb-pt.adj-attrib-agt-comp.n-agt dog big buy small boy
>>The smaller boy bought the biggest dog.
>>Word order is simply mapword : everything else.
>>Of course, when you start using subclauses things can get seriously>complicated.
>>Any thoughts?

"This is an interesting idea, which is not completely unknown (I think), but
"I've never seen it used up to this extent! I think it's something which is
"at the frontier of being humanly possible (it stretches at the limits of
"what the human memory can do. Also, it obliges you to define the whole
"sentence before you pronounce it, since you have to give the grammatical
"relations first

There may be species that could think this way, but not in my opinion
Homo sapiens.

~~ Anything below this line is NOT from me ===> Ted Saratoga ~~

Express Yourself - Share Your Mood in Emails!
Visit www.SmileyCentral.com - the happiest place on the Web.