Julien Eychenne sikyal:

> Peter Bleackley a écrit :
> > What are "emphatic" consonants? The Language Construction Kit says "Don't
> > ask", but that only makes me want to know even more!
>
> Emphatic consonants are pharyngealised consonants, i.e consonants
> followed by pharyngeal constriction. To produce a pharyngeal
> constriction, you must retract the root of your tongue. You can listen
> to pharyngeal consonants of Hebrew on this page :
>
> http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/appendix/languages/hebrew/hebrew.html
>
> from Peter Ladefoged's homepage. From the same page, you can listen to
> pharyngealised consonants of Arabic :
>
> http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/appendix/languages/arabic/arabic.html

Thanks for these links! It's a delight to finally be able to hear Arabic
consonants as they are supposed to be, and I was pleased to find that my
previous attempts to make pharyngeal sounds had actually been fairly
successful. I was surprised at how dramatic the vowel allphony in Arabic
is, though. The unpharyngealized /a/ sounds like nearly [E] to my ears.

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"