Christophe Grandsire slabronten:

> En réponse à Mark J. Reed :
>
> >How about "see her" vs. "singer"? (In my 'lect, at least, the 'i'
> >in "-ing" is [i], not [I]).
>
> Examples involving word breaks are always a bit weak for me ;))) .

Why? Lots of phonological processes pay no heed to word
boundaries -- flapping in American English, for example.
My objection to this example would be that at least in
colloquial English, in many dialects, the /h/ is deleted
entirely.  "see her" is [si.jr=] for me, although my dialect
is otherwise not wont to drop its 'aitches'.

Thomas Wier            "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
Chicago, IL 60637