On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, JS Bangs wrote:

> But Nikhil asked a more interesting question--is it possible to
> communicate without language?  I think the answer is no.

Brian McConnell, who wrote _Beyond Contact: A Guide to SETI and
Communicating with Alien Civilizations_, thinks that the answer is yes.
This book mainly describes a communication scheme based on numbers, with a
multilayered approach similar to that in Carl Sagan's _Contact_.

It makes many ill-founded assumptions on the aliens' culture and
technology (ie. that all civilizations with radio telescopes must also
have digital computers), but overall, it's quite plausible, and a good
read.

--
Arnt Richard Johansen                                http://arj.nvg.org/
Du klickar bara på en ikon så SER DU DITT LOKALA NÄTVERK.