 Jacques, It's good that you are building a Zulu list. I willbe sending you one of mine -- direct to you. For those who find the Zulu a bit puzzling, it isimportant to know that the infinitives of verbsbegin with uku- and that various noun sets begin with such thing as ili-, etc. With this in mind, and some knowledge of the Zulu phonetics, manycognates (borrowings - largely via English) become easily recognizable. I am perhaps the only designer of an IAL whohas worked on vocabulary choices for many years with a Zulu dictionary among those books that I can easily reach at all times, without getting up. There are those who seem to think this a silly thing.Zulu has even been the butt of IAL-related jokes.This is rather sad, IMO. I see Zulu as a good guide to what widespread words(largely English) have seeped into many languages of Africa. Incidently, languages like Lingala and Wolofprovide similar windows for the many words of Frenchorigin in the languages of Sub-Saharan Africa!
 . Thereis Portuguese and Arabic also widely scattered. All this is IMO important to know, and limits/modifiesthe logical vocabulary choices. Regards, LEO Sent via:[log in to unmask] J. Moser  ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////--- On Sun 08/31, Jacques Deh=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9e?= < [log in to unmask] > wrote:From: Jacques Deh=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9e?= [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:39:09 -0400 Subject: Re: Zulu Dear Leo,*******I thank you for your very important personal message sent outof AUXLANG.I am preparing a detailed answer, and concerning Uzbek,a message in AUXLANGI thank you for answering my message about the test too  ..clip..

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com