J.K.Hoffman wrote:

> Okay, so I've got a couple of questions regarding language change.
> What's more common, change in pronunciation of words?  Or, change in
> grammatical structure?

Pronounciation, by far.  Sometimes within the space of 2-3 generations.
Grammatical change seems a lot more resistant; I think the schoolmarms have
finally given up on "whom" and maybe "it is I" etc, but those battles were
going on even before I was born a Long Time Ago.

> Or, are there other ways that are more common that I'm not aware of?

Interesting and sometimes amusing things happen in the semantic area-- aside
from words being lost, you can find pejoration, amelioration, loss/addition
of connotations, confusion (e.g. disinterested vs. uninterested), not to
mention all the slang that comes and goes. Groovy.

An interesting and not overly-technical book on semantics (in the
linguistic, not philosophical, sense) is Stephen Ullmann's; I disremember
the title at the moment; it may be "Meaning and Change of Meaning".  Old,
but still available.