(Re Stephen Ullmann book) J.K.Hoffman wrote:
> Well, according to Amazon.com, if you've gotten the title right, it's
> _Meaning and Change of Meaning; with Special Reference to the English
> Language_ by Gustaf Stern.  And, I hope that's what you meant, because
> it's the only one in print!

Hmmph. That's not it, but sounds like a possibility.  Personally, I'd try to
get a look at that through a good library, before laying out almost $80.00
(or even 20-some for the used copy...)

I know the Ullmann exists, it was the text in the course I took from him in
1964 or 65. (Maybe we 10-12 students got the last copies in existence...His
sort of etymological approach was considered old-fashioned even then.)  I
seem to recall that Amazon still listed it a couple years ago, when I last
looked. Again, check a good library. Meanwhile, I'm off to the storage
locker-- I know I've got it somewhere.