Isaac Penzev wrote:

> A funny thing Janko mentioned:
> >   J. CONLANG  BASED AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL LANGUAGES:
> > Palawa Kani.
>
> Actually, it's not a conlang but rather a 'reconlang': a reconstruction of
> language that died. But the funnier thing is that this language is taught
and
> spoken by a small but distinctive and growing community!
>
> Read about it here:
> http://www.fatsil.org/LOTM/dec99.htm
> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,6728620,00.html
> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/deepend/stories/s899296.htm

Iinteresting.  One has to wonder how much original vocabulary and grammar
they have to work with.... or are they (gasp)...inventing ...new words?

The word _palawa_ struck me, ASSUMING it means 'language'-- looks and could
sound a lot like old US slang _palaver_ 'talk, discuss; confer etc.', <
Span. palabra.  But it could just be coincidental, as I doubt "palaver" ever
made its way into Brit. slang/ S.Pacific pidgin English.