Ray Brown scripsit:
> <blushes deeply>
>
> In my last mail on this topic I said French *segon is from Latin
> 'secundum'.  What I should have said is that SPANISH _segun_
> "according to" is from Latin 'secundum'.

Huh.  At least you didn't use the nominative for the accusative:
Priscian's head shrinks, cracks.

But then in De Camp's wonderful uchronia _Lest Darkness Fall_, he
quotes a bit of Gothic, but uses the nominative instead of the
vocative (and the whole was utterly garbled by the publisher):
"Ho, frijond!  Allai skattjans sind waidedjans."  (Hey, friend.
All merchants are thieves.)

--
"And it was said that ever after, if any                John Cowan
man looked in that Stone, unless he had a               [log in to unmask]