On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:56:28 -0400, Isidora Zamora <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>If you have a Windows 2000 or XP system, you can download Keyman 6.0 from
>>Tavultesoft
>
>I will keep this in mind for next year when we will (most likely) get a
>machine capable of running XP.

Tavultesoft has a plugin for Microsoft Word that's supposed to be able to
let you use the keyboards, but I tried it on my laptop (Windows 98 SE) and
had problems with it.

>>Most of the IPA symbols don't have upper-case versions in Unicode, so you'd
>>have to use a font that includes them in the Private Use area, if there is
>>such a font. Fortunately, some of the upper-case IPA symbols (including
>>ones for /E/ and /O/) are in the Latin Extended-B range.
>
>I suspected that these two symbols in particular might exist in the upper
>case.  How do I find these symbols and fonts supporting them?
>
>Isidora

You can check the charts at unicode.org (http://www.unicode.org/charts/) to
find which characters are in the different ranges. The upper-case [E] is
U+0190, and the upper-case [O] is U+0186. Some fonts that include these
characters are Arial Unicode MS, Code2000, MS PGothic, MS UI Gothic,
Gentium, GentiumAlt, Lucida Sans Unicode, and Thryomanes. Code2000 is
available from James Kass (http://home.att.net/~jameskass/), Gentium and
GentiumAlt from Victor Gaultney (http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/),
and Thryomanes from my site (http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html).
Code2000 is shareware, but it's easily worth the $5.00 price, since it
covers huge areas of the Unicode character set. Gentium and Thryomanes are
free fonts.

The easiest way to insert these characters into a document (without a
Unicode-enabled keyboard layout) is to use the Insert Symbol dialog in
Microsoft Word and select "Latin Extended-B" from the Subset box. Or you
can download the BabelMap program, which runs on Windows 95 or higher
(http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Software/BabelMap.html), and copy
the characters you need to the clipboard, then paste them into any
Unicode-based application.

--
languages of Azir------> ---<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html>---
hmiller (Herman Miller)   "If all Printers were determin'd not to print any