On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:37:14PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> Well, in a lot of S. English dialects, /T/ and /f/ have merged into [f].

Really?  So "path" is [paf] in adult speech?   That sounds so much like
a child's error to me that I have trouble imagining it as a dialectical
variant.

But I don't know that you can claim  [T] is particularly difficult, since
many children say [T] when trying to say [s].  It just depends on the
child.

Are there any dialects in which /l/ and /j/ have merged into [j]?  That's
another common children's error.  ("Turn out the yight, Mommy!")

-Mark