Andreas Johansson scripsit:

> However, the other day I saw a text by Joseph Conrad, in which he used the
> form "Congoward", obviously meaning "towards the Congo". This can't be seen as
> much else than an allative, can it?

Yes, but it's not really productive, or rather, it is productive of nonce words.
There are other oddities like this in English, for example, "to out-X X", where
X is any name; in "Hamlet" we have "it out-Herods Herod", meaning it is
even more like (something to do with) Herod than Herod himself.

--
John Cowan  [log in to unmask]  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If he has seen farther than others,