--- Tristan McLeay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But that's not the difference. I can't imagine
> me saying 'I'm bedward of
> the cat' (or for that matter 'he's forward of
> the mark', for which I'd say
> 'he's in front of the mark');

While I understand "in front of the mark", that
indicates a particular relationship in space:

            _______
           |       |
  back     |       |   front   (X)
           |_______|

where (X) can not be on any of the other three
sides. While "bedward of the Cat" makes no
judgement on the Cat's physical orientation. In
otherwords, I can simultaneously be "bedward and
behind", "bedward and leftward", etc.

> instead, I would use 'bedward' in a
> sentence like 'I'm heading bedward', so there's
> definitely movement
> involved. Maybe just a personal oddity.

Apparently, for you there is no difference. You
use "bedward" for both, whereas I understand one
to be static and the other concerns motion.

Padraic.

=====
- Nos c˘sez yen fin xristianˇs et trancouil

- C˘sez-el a Ddon!

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>