--- Chris Bates <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I was thinking, is the english subjunctive
> really a subjunctive? Its
> just, subjunctive has always been described to
> me as indicating doubt,
> whereas the english subjunctive doesn't
> indicate doubt but that
> something is definately contrary to fact (the
> speaker is in no doubt at
> all if he uses the subjunctive form).

It does both. The past subjunctive does contrary
to fact; the present subjunctive handles doubt.

>  Also, I'm not sure the subjunctive is
> disappearing...

Not that we can tell, anyway! It is identical to
the indicative apart from the 3s present and the
past of be.

Padraic.

=====
To him that seeks, if he knock, the door will be opened;
if he seeks, he shall find his way; if he searches for a way, he shall find his path.
For though the Way is narrow, it's wisdom is written in the hearts of all:
if ye would seek and find Rest, look first within!  [The Petricon]

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>

Come visit The World! --