--- Tristan McLeay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Costentin Cornomorus
> wrote:
>
> > I never liked umlauts. Even when they're
> > appropriate in English (co÷perate, etc.).
> Plus, I
> > always have to look up the codes, whereas I
> have
> > the ups, downs and chapeaux memorised.
>
> That isn't an umlaut, it's a diaeresis.

Same thing, in English. There's "umlaut", the
vowel variation in man/men; and there's "an
umlaut" which is the little doololly Germans use
to indicate umlaut, and that some English writers
use to distinguish two vowel sounds from a single
(oo v. o÷ = [u] v. [oo] or [oO]). I understand
dieresis to be a synonym for the latter, the
symbol, and an infrequently used one at that.

Padraic.

=====
- Nos c˘sez yen fin xristianˇs et trancouil

- C˘sez-el a Ddon!

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>