Ray Brown scripsit:

> Are you thinking of Welsh words like 'gwedd´o' (to pray)
> and 'cop´au (copies)?

Quite likely.  I agree that this is indeed logical.

> >JRRT's manuscripts also do this unsystematically,
>
> Welsh influence?

More likely just sloppy and hasty writing.  Quenya too has only falling
diphthongs, although "in the Third Age" iu was often pronounced rising --
perhaps a concession to, or an imitation of, modern English speech habits.

--
Winter:  MIT,                                   John Cowan
Keio, INRIA,                                    [log in to unmask]