----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: CHAT: Homo Sapiens (was: fiery spirits)

> I knew I shouldn't have used this quote as an example of English lack of a
> word corresponding to German 'Mensch', Swedish _människa_, Latin 'homo' or
> Greek 'anthro:pos'     :-)
>
> Despite my addding in the mail that sparked off this twist in the thread:
> "(Yes, I know the best MSS have 'goodwill' (eudokias) in the genitive, not
> the nominative - but I don't want to complicate the issue)."
> subsequent comments have complicated the issue, so here goes...........

'man' used to be the equivalent.  When you wanted to be more specific, you'd
used 'wępnedman' or 'wķfman'.  Meaning 'weaponed-man' and 'weaving-man',
literally(yes, terms that reinforce gender-roles, but we still use the
latter anyway).

I suggest that Males are referred to as Wepmen, and we adopt 'man' as the
gender-neutral term.