And where can I dowload Shoebox 4.01? I just found v5, but yes, it's
commercial :(

Carsten

----- Original Message -----
From: "Muke Tever" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: Dictionary for a conlang

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:13:34 -0500, Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2003 at 11:04, Payrga Laanka wrote:
>> does anyone know any software that can be used to make a dictionary
>> for a new conlang?
>> for dictionary-maker i mean a software that includes the option of
>> long and complex definitions, bilingual comments and ethimology.
>
> I don't know the opinion of the list on newer versions of the SIL
> Shoebox, but I've used it in the past with some success. There is
> quite a learning curve to get it customised in a particular way, but
> it seems very customisable.
>
> Looking at http://www.sil.org/computing/shoebox/index.html it doesn't
> look like the software is free any more, which is probably a huge
> downside for most of us.

No, current versions of Shoebox are no longer free.  The last free version
was sh401.exe (which can probably still be found). I use shoebox [4.01]
for the Kirumb languages; its biggest drawback, for me at least, is its
lack of Unicode support, but otherwise is quite good.

        *Muke!
--
http://frath.net/
http://kohath.livejournal.com/

E jer savne zarj mas ne   (You put music in my heart
Se imn koone'f metha       And with the spirit of an artist
Brissve m kol ad.        I will make the dreamtime)