Paul Bennett wrote:

>Does anyone know a Windows mail client that is HTML-safe and fully
>Unicode-aware, and particularly is not Outlook? Preferably, without
>sacrificing any of the functionality and ease-of-use of my current solution.

You don't ask much, do you?   :)  I recommend you try Thunderbird (the
standalone email application from the Mozilla project).  It's
Unicode-aware; for instance I had no trouble pasting in today's date in
Latin:

        ante diem III Nōnās Novembrēs A.U.C. MMDCCLVI

Or even the IPA pronunciation thereof:

        'ʌntɛ 'dɪjɛm 'tɛrtɪjɛm 'nonɑs nɔ'wɛmbres ʌb ' rbe 'kɔndɪtʌ 'duo
'milɪjʌ ,sɛptɪn'gɛnti kʷɪnkʷʌ'gɪntʌ 'sɛks

It is admittedly currently a prerelease product, but it seems very
stable, and it is free.

You can download it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

-Mark