Gary Shannon scripsit:

> But "lot" remains a singular noun, a unit of measure
> exactly equivalent, grammatically, to "inch", "meter",
> "gallon", "bunch", "rod", "bale", and "sheaf".  If you
> are going to mangle the language by writing "alot"
> then you should also write "agallon", "ameter",
> "abale", "aninch", and so on.

Quite so.  There is the similar loose quantity noun "raft",
as in "I have a raft of stuff in the garage", which does not
mean that there is an actual object made of logs (or inflatable
rubber) there.  IIRC "a raft of" is an Americanism, though it
may have spread more widely now.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  [log in to unmask]
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath