Hello,

2003-12-31T18:37:21Z Isaac Penzev <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

...snip

>> Furthemore, I'm not sure it's a good idea to use the above mentioned
>> GOST. I can't speak for all the people but it seems *to me* that the
>> standard is not in the wide use.

> Yep-yep. Most of the official stuff produced in post-Soviet space is
> stupid.

That's way too general. ISO's 8859-x series are unpopular in some
places, though we cannot claim ISO always produce stupid things.

>> Here's the system which is used daily in Russia:
>>
>> a b v g d e yo zh z i y k l m n o p r s t u f kh ts ch sh sch ' y ' e yu ya

> It looks suspiciously close to the system used in road signs according to GOST
> 10708-81. As for me, I use it daily, and recommend to my students.

I couldn't find the GOST online, could you post a link or an excerpt
from it? I haven't seen the GOST, it was my inner feeling.

>> No one writes Jel'cin btw. You can see Eltzin or Eltsin
>> in the newspapaers depending on the language.

> Or Yeltzin.

>>   Alexander Savenkov

> Welcome to the List, btw. Russian speakers are rare birds here.

Was it my first message? I guess it was. I however was watching you
people for some time already. :)

Happy New Year!

> -- Isaac Penzev (aka Yitzik), a linguist from Kiev

Alexander Savenkov (aka Croll), a person from Moscow.
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
  [log in to unmask]             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/