In a message dated 2003:12:27 10:33:05 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>> At 17:27 27.12.2003, Carsten Becker wrote:
>>
>>>  he makes a curl over the o's, three dots over a's
>>> etc. (a feature of Tengwar, the Elvish writing), but using Latin uncial
>>> letters.
>>

>> I noticed that on the map(s) in the movies.
>> How absolutely idiotic!
>
>How's it idiotic? It adds flavor, and they needed to make it readable
>for the audience.

    More effective - and possibly creative - woulda been the Tengwar
graphically morphing into Latin uncial, ie I recently saw a Chinese-American video art
piece* on the PBS channel (a local arts program called _Sparks_) that had
morphing sequences of all the major forms of Chinese writing (from Bone Oracle to
ultra-modern "computerized" Simplified!) overlaid on cinematic "cut-ups" and
montages of Chinese images.
    Very beautiful & I wish I had a videotape...

    * IIRC the title can be translated into English as "Long Time
History/Culture/Civilization Cut/Carved in Bone, Written/Painted in Ink" or something
along those lines... [pardon all the poetic/semantic-space puns]

(The soundtrack - for all ya music fans - was ultra-intense string
sextet-like music on pipa, yueqin, yangqin, sheng, guqin & something rather odd called a
"doublebass-guqin"! Try thinkin' Bartok, Debussy, Webern, Messiaen, Crumb,
Feldman, Lou Harrison, and Xenakis if they were Chinese music
composer-improvisors [[ ok okay!, Debussy, Messiaen, and Crumb definitely qualify as "Honorary
Musical Chinamen" ... and the late, great, much esteemed Harrison as an
_adopted_ "Honourable Son of China" * ;) ]]

    * I have heard an "e-rumour" (internet ethno-gossip) that composer Tan
Dun has added Lou Harrison's photo to his "family" altar (next to nice big
photos of the late John Cage & Toru Takemitsu-sensei and a portrait bust of Bach)
    BTW does any one know if cellist/multiculturalist Yo-Yo Ma maintains a
family altar?   Eh?, Teohie, Kou, Padraic, J.Cowan, etc... 0_o? How many of ya
_actively_ maintain some form of "spiritual lineage-consciousness" and/or
"genetic ancestor memory worship"?

--- *DiDJiBuNgA!!* ---

Hanuman "Stitch" Zhang, ManglaLanger (mangle + manga + lang)
http://www.boheme-magazine.net

     Language[s] change[s]: vowels shift, phonologies crash-&-burn, grammars
leak, morpho-syntactics implode, lexico-semantics mutate, lexicons explode,
orthographies reform, typographies blip-&-beep, slang flashes, stylistics
warp... linguistic (R)evolutions mark each-&-every quantum leap...
languages are "naturally evolved wild systems...
So language does not impose order on a chaotic universe,
but reflects its own wildness back." - Gary Snyder

"Some Languages Are Crushed to Powder but Rise Again as New Ones" -
title of a chapter on pidgins and creoles, John McWhorter,
_The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language_

= ˇgw'araa legooset caacaa!
    ˇreez'arvaa. saalvaa. reecue. scoopaa-goomee en reezijcloo! =

[Fight Linguistic Waste!
    Save, Salvage, Recover, Scavenge and Recycle!]