--- Joe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I don't know about three.  Having said that,
> three seems to occupy some
> kind of special place in our culture's brains.
> "I'lll count to three",
> "third time lucky", "three strikes, you're
> out".  Odd, really.

Not so odd as all that. Threes are quite the
magic number in many IE cultures. Consider the
Christian trinity, Irish war Goddesses always
come in threes. Dumezil posited a tripartite
system for the IE pantheon. Brothers that have to
accomplish a deed in stories always come in
threes. Maid, Mother and Crone - more threes.

Padraic.

=====
la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>

Come visit The World! --