--- Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:31:54 -0500,
> "Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:04:34AM -0800, Gary
> Shannon wrote:
> > > Intersting thought.  Has anyone ever tried to
> pass off
> > > a conlang as "the real and true language of
> ancient
> > > Atlantis?"
> >
> > You mean, other than Marc Okrand's Atlantean
> (created for
> > the wretched Disney movie)? :)
>
> Actually, my Hesperic family is a candidate for the
> language
> of ancient Atlantis.  My personal opinion about the
> Atlantis myth
> is that Atlantis was an ancient civilization that
> existed on the
> British Isles prior to the arrival of the Celts.

<snip>

I rather like this theory: http://www.atlan.org/

It has the advantage of being both outrageous AND
totally rational.  Not only does it fly in the face of
conventional wisdom, but it is entirely possible.
(BTW: this web page includes a section on liguistic
evidence for his theory of Atlantis.  I read it a few
years ago, but haven't looked at it recently, and I
don't really have the linguistic creds to say whether
his claims are sound or pure BS.)

--gary