Caleb Hines scripsit:

> BTW, from a grammatical point of view, there is no reason why all closing
> tags couldn't just be written like </> or something similar.

Indeed, that is an SGML feature called "end-tag minimization", but it
never made it into any HTML browsers that I know of, and isn't supported
by XML.  It saves space and keystrokes, but hurts error recovery and
readability.

--
John Cowan  [log in to unmask]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths