On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 07:52  PM, Roger Mills wrote:
> "Make a decision"-- "take..." is now current, possibly via Hollywoodese
> possibly via Yiddish usage.  Similarly "take a meeting" = "have a
> meeting".
> Cf. Newyorkese (Yiddish influence?) "take a haircut". (All this from
> my provincial midwestern POV)

Being a Newyorker with Yiddish influence, I say "get a haircut".  I
have heard "take a haircut" but it doesn't strike me as Yiddishafied.
It might be, though... I don't actually speak much Yiddish and i have a
lot less Yiddish influence on my English than some other people.

My number one all-time favorite Yiddish-influenced Judeo-English
grammatical form is "you want i should...?", btw. :-D

You want we should stop this before it becomes YAEPT?

;-)

-Stephen (Steg)
  "i hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
   whenever one door closes i hope one more opens
   promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
   and when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, dance!"
      ~ 'i hope you dance' by lee ann womack