On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> This is mainly directed at the Swedes on this list...
>
> Which of of the notations 2\ Y\ 8\ would
> you find most convenient/intuitive for the
> Swedish "long _u_", which in strict
> X-SAMPA is [2_w]?

How differs this from [2]? Does it contrast phonemically with it?

> I'm also mulling on which available Unicode
> character to use for this sound.  While it
> would be reasonably easy to fake Y\ as
> Latin Letter Small Capital Y Bar with the
> help of a combining diacritic I'm nevertheless
> leaning towards using lowercase Greek omega, as
> being most similar to the symbol for this sound
> in Svenska Landsmålsalfabetet -- essentially an
> M\ with a short middle leg.

If I'm not mistaken, that was/is used for some phonetic symbol so it might
be best avoided. (The TIPA manual includes it and an inverted (upsidedown)
small omega and comments that they come from the _Phonetic Symbol Guide_
(Pullum and Ladusaw, 1996), but doesn't say what they represent it in; a
closed omega is apparently an obsolete near-close near-back rounded vowel
from the IPAs of 1949 and 1979.)

--
Tristan