Quoting "Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:31:43AM +0100, Andreas Johansson wrote:
> > > 2) Make sure every start-tag has an end-tag.  This rule does not apply
> > > empty tags, namely basefont, br, area, link, img, param, hr, input, col,
> > > frame, isindex.  (If you don't know what some of these are, don't worry
> about
> > > it).
> >
> > This means p should have one. Annoying.
>
> Yes, because <p> is NOT a separator, it's a container.  Instead of

I know. It's just that the ancient TY HTML book I once used recommended
leaving </p> out, and I've always been doing it.

> > > 3) Replace the ">" at the end of an empty tag with " />".
> >
> > That's would be major drain on the ol' brain. Esply that space.
>
> Your brain is easily drained, I guess. :)

No doubt.

> > > 4) Make sure all start-tags and end-tags are properly nested.
> >
> > Which means?
>
> This has actually been a requirement all the way back to HTML1; it's
> just that browsers have tended to be forgiving about it.
> As to what it means, it means that tags have to be closed in the
> inverse order they were opened.  So, for instance, if you use those
> old nasty presentation tags <b> for bold face and <i> for italic,

I can't see why that should matter to the software, but since it's easier on
my brain, I've always been doing it.

> > > 6) Make sure attributes like "checked", that don't have values, are
> > > written "checked='checked'".
> >
> > Can't recall last I used a such. Probably involved "table border".
>
> Actually, the <table> border attribute takes a numeric value specifying
> the width of the border.

At least on IE and some ancient variants of Netscape, just giving border with
no value gives you borders with a default width.

                                                       Andreas