Marty Rosenberg wrote:
> I forgot to mention a few things that I could especially use help with,
> although everything is pretty much a blank slate for me.
>
> First, I have difficulty coming up with words. I tried using roots and
> particles to do so, but then I realized something else: I have
> difficulty coming up with those too. Is there any system I should know
> of that could help me along these lines?

My current method (algorithmic--but hey, if you've looked at my
dissertation, you'd know my preference for such things... :) ):

I went to www.random.org and generated a bunch of random numbers between
1 and 100 formatted into 6 columns (for 2-syllable (CVC) roots). Then
applied the following procedures to the numbers that resulted:

(symbols: ā - a macron; ē - e macron; ō - o macron; ð - eth; þ - thorn)
ONSET CONSONANT (* means this position is not filled)
b (1-6)    l (34-39)   t (67-71)
d (7-11)   m (40-44)   þ (72-76)
f (12-16)  n (45-50)   ð (77-80)
g (17-21)  p (51-55)   v (81-85)
k (22-27)  r (56-61)   z (86-90)
h (28-33)  s (62-66)   * (91-100)

VOWEL
a (1-15)   ā (71-78)
e (16-28)  ē (79-85)
i (29-38)  ō (86-91)
y (39-49)  ay (92-96)
o (50-58)  ey (97-100)
u (59-70)

FINAL CONSONANT (* means this is empty)
l (1-20)   * (93-100)
n (21-38)
r (39-54)
m (55-68)
þ (69-81)
v (82-92)

RULES
1. z is always dropped unless it is the final consonant of the root
2. for all syllables but the first: if the final consonant of the
previous syllable is:
    l then drop b, f, p, ð as initial consonant
    n then drop b, f, h, l, m, r as initial consonant
    r then drop l, ð as initial consonant
    m then drop d, f, h, n, r, t, þ as initial consonant
    þ then drop all initial consonants
    v then drop b, d, f, h, m, s, t, þ, ð, v
3. double consonants (between syllables) are allowed except for þþ and vv

EXAMPLES (these are roots, the fully formed words have class endings)
66  89  45  46  54  22  sōrnon (sōr - 'cold'--I didn't like the '-non'
second syllable, so I removed it)
5   91  80  44  1   21  bōþman -> bōþan ('island')
64  3   99  4   86  30  sa*bōn -> sabōn ('to learn')
94  8   94  64  26  91  *a*sev -> asev  (not yet assigned)

The trick is to set up your rules so they reflect the phonetic rules of
your language.
--
James Worlton