Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>change, and /h/ reappeared in some Romance languages, to disappear
>again.=20
>In Spanish, it came from initial /f/ which turned into /h/ (except in
>front=
>=20
>of /w/, which explains  Spanish <fuego> vs. <hablar> from Latin FOCUS
>and=20
>FABULARE, IIRC). This new /h/ disappeared again.

This loss happened sometime just after the Spanish colonized the
Philippines at least, because certain loanwords that were pronounced with
an initial H, but lost the H, are pronounced with that H in Philippines
Spanish (according to a paper on Chabacano, which i'd believe since the
author had about twenty scholarly sources to write it!).

So I'll try to hold on, while you try to let go
You won't tell me it's gone, but baby i'll know