E f+AOk-sto Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]>:
> Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>> change, and /h/ reappeared in some Romance languages, to disappear
>> again. In Spanish, it came from initial /f/ which turned into /h/
>> (except in front of /w/, which explains  Spanish <fuego> vs. <hablar>
>> from Latin FOCUS and FABULARE, IIRC). This new /h/ disappeared again.
>
> This loss happened sometime just after the Spanish colonized the
> Philippines at least, because certain loanwords that were pronounced with
> an initial H, but lost the H, are pronounced with that H in Philippines
> Spanish (according to a paper on Chabacano, which i'd believe since the
> author had about twenty scholarly sources to write it!).

Actually the loss was probably early, but I think it wasn't lost in all
dialects.  I have read an analysis of a dialect of Central American
Spanish (I forget what region exactly) that retains initial /h/ as well,
even now (well... the book was dated from the 70s).

        *Muke!
--
http://frath.net/                  E jer savne zarj+AOk- mas ne
http://kohath.livejournal.com/     Se imn+AOk- koone'f metha