En réponse à Mark J. Reed :

>What exactly are you complaining about?  I must be missing some development
>in HTML.  I have no difficulty coding XHTML 1.0 by hand, for instance.

The header has become impossible to code by hand for me. Maybe I'm dense,
but the syntax has become far too complex for me to decipher. I'm extremely
against forcing the tags to be lowercase (that makes the code extremely
difficult to read - I already have that complaint with XML anyway :) -).
Moreover, I tried once to make a simple page in XHTML1.0+CSS to check how
it worked. Although I made it exactly as indicated by some tutorial site,
and although it was successfully validated at the site of W3C, it never
showed up correctly, neither on IE nor on Opera (it just completely ignored
the CSS). After this, I thought that it wasn't worth it. If it cannot be
made simple enough that my small attempt, completely following the correct
rules, would work out correctly, then it is flawed. It's of course just a
personal opinion, but it is backed by personal experience.

Anyway, seen the size of my webpage, when would I find the time to update
it to the current standards ? (especially since those same standards are
moving forward so quickly that you just cannot humanly follow) And since I
don't like to see mixings of programming styles, I just keep writing my
pages the same way as I always did. I've never found a single browser that
doesn't show them up as I intended, and I've checked it on many computers
with many different operating systems and browsers :) . I did try using
Tidy, but the result is awful, and the tool too complicated to handle well,
especially with the little time I have. And although I use frames, it is
completely accessible without them (at the time I first created the page
though, there was nothing better than frames. CSS didn't exist yet).

My main problem is that the current standard, and for what I've seen the
next too, has become so obscure that coding HTML is get out of reach of the
casual user, i.e. to make HTML pages nowadays you are forced to take
special courses. and to make it a profession.I have neither the time nor
the will to do that. I just want to make simple webpages with mainly text
and some links and sometimes a picture or two. As it is, I cannot do even
that correctly in XHTML.

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr