--- Joe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Trebor Jung wrote:
>
> > Merhaba!
> >
> > I read a little while ago (someone's post)
> that Kirshenbaum IPA
> > ASCIIification went out of style a while ago
> on Conlang, but why?
> > Pablo Flores and Mark Rosenfelder(?) still
> use it.
> >
> > Why is XS better than KB or any other system
> - why was it chosen?
> > (Maybe because XS was designed by linguists?
> ... But that's not so
> > fair, 'cause XS is ugly - numbers,
> punctuation... Well, KB etc. use
> > those too I'm sure.)
> >

> It's not, really, it's just the fashion.
> People use X-SAMPA/CXS because
> everyone else does.  It's a bad idea to use
> other ones, because then
> people get confused.

A good overview of different systems is here
<http://www.blahedo.org/ascii-ipa.html>

Sampa and Kirschenbaum have good and bad points
[sampa's { for ash is dumb; kb's R for something
that isn't really an "R" is dumb]. I tend to use
a compromise between the two (which really are
very similar). I am not particularly interested
in detailed phonology anyway, so don't have a
great use for all those fiddly little squiggles;
for me, the basic sounds and basic symbols are
plenty.

Padraic.

=====
blaženi ništii duxom&#1100; &#283;ko t&#283;x&#1098; est&#1098; c&#283;sar&#1100;stvo nebes&#1100;skoe!
    -- Mt.5:3

--

Ill Bethisad --
<http://www.geocities.com/elemtilas/ill_bethisad>