Quoting "Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>:

> > Final /r/ mostly patterns like pre-consonantal /r/, but what are we to
> > do with "intrusive r" in non-rhotic dialects, where unhistorical r's
> > appear in external sandhi by analogy to the historically lost ones?
>
> "sandhi"?  Is that another Lojban term?  (reaches for Red Book . . .)

From Sanskrit. It's denoted sound changes caused by phonemes ending up next to
one another - in this case the arising of subphonemic rhotics to break up
hiatic combinations caused by syntax. Internal sandhi is similar changes
within a word - the voicing of the final stop of "cup" in the (former)
compound "cupboard", say.

Voicing sandhi is a biggish feature of Tairezazh phonology. Basically you
don't get a voiced stop or fric next to a voiceless one in connected speech.
So eg _shaid speik_ "dark lake" gets pronounced like _shaid zbeik_.

                                                     Andreas