At 20:11 24.1.2004, John Cowan wrote:
>Benct Philip Jonsson scripsit:
>
> > It's the past participle from GAYAS which in 'The Etymologies'
> > meant 'dreadful' but later JRRT changed his mind and made it
> > mean 'blessed'.  It is supposed to translate Benedictus,
> > but I kind of like the ambiguity!
>
>So if people were called Maledictus, how would that come out in Swedish?

Perhaps as _Malt_, which incidentally would be
identical to _malt_ 'malt'.

Actually I suspect that the origin of _Bengt/Benct_ is more
complicated than a mere contraction in popular speech.  In a
palaeography study book I saw the spelling {beńct} -- in fact
with a rather heavy abbreviation stroke over all of {ect}, so
I suspect the shortened name originated as a common written
abbreviation for _Benedictus_.  BTW it was the same book which
inspired me to change my spelling from _Bengt_ to _Benct_.
I was young then, and have sometimes wondered if it was wise
to make the change, and especially if it was wise to make it
official! :)

>Latin "sacer" is nicely ambiguous between "sacred" and "accursed": usually
>it means the former

[snip]

I know.  That's exactly my point!

> > There was a little discussion of the name on
> > [log in to unmask]  Search for the term
> > 'holy dread' since 'Aestan' occurs in my sig.

That would be message #27659. I just looked it up.

>For you on honey-dew have fed, and drunk the milk of Paradise?

I don't get that reference.

>--
>"In my last lifetime,                           John Cowan
>I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
>in this lifetime,                               [log in to unmask]
>I don't."  --Thiagi                             http://www.reutershealth.com

/BP 8^)
--
B.Philip Jonsson mailto:[log in to unmask] (delete X)
                A h-ammen ledin i phith!                \ \