On Jan 23 Takatunu wrote:

>This weak I made 4 different batches as variations on one theme. I guess I
made a few English mistakes but I hope they are not to confusing.

(Ahem, the word is –week--.)

Here’s a selection, with some (to me) necessary changes—

>Please write to your friend in this room and with this pen an essay about your conlang in your script but in English.-->

In this room and with this pen, please write to your friend.........et seq.

ri atel tayu i umit kangu tayu, turole ˙rika kambrayeti akurum liri sende-ahandi, umit a˝awurini mowa umit sende ingiles.

In room this and use pen this, beg write-IMP friend-dat-your essay concerning language-invent-your, use writing-system-its but use language English.

(Odd—MS Word capitalized the first word “ri” as expected, but also “ingiles”—how did it know to do that?)

>I baked the dough and the cake was soon baked --> I prepared the dough [masa, for now] and ......

marukaram masani i kumusni (or kumus yu) cumicu yašutošo

I-CAUS-prepare dough-its and cake-its (cake that) soon it-INCH-bake

>This bottle was filled with wine and that other one was full of water.

Krala tayu yalondo poren, yu liya(ni) (ya)londo sawu

Bottle this it-full wine, that other(def.) (it)full water

Literal passive-like trans. of the first clause with a causative verb might lead to something interesting—an inanimate noun in the dative (this construction just occurred to me):

Kralaye tayu irundondo poren... lit. bottle-dat this they-filled wine(acc.)....or (“active”) PRON-rundondo kralaye poren...

>Now both are empty so please refill them.

Tanju loroni iyumbu, ene maturo (niš) rundˇndoka cis

Now both they-empty, and-so I beg (them) CAUS-fill-IMP again

>Let me smell your flowers.

Literal: ßmbukapo re matola avešti.

áá Permit-IMP-just THAT I-smell flower-pl-your

OR: aka marumbo matola avešti?

ááá Qá I-may I-smell flowers-your?

>This flower smells of honey.

Aves tayu tolani sukevu [honey analogue]

>Flowers perfume the room with a heady scent.

Aveš(ni) irutoyom atelni (~atel yu) (i) soyo˝i (ya)šaka

Flowers(def) they-CAUS-fragrant room-def (room that) (and) fragrant-of them (it-)powerful

>I tasted the grilled cricket and it tastes like chicken.

Ma˝o˝at cici nakuša, ku˝atni popo

I-taste bug fire-cook, taste-of-it “popo” [Cinduan chicken analogue]

>I am obsessed by her thought (= by my thought(s) of her)

me cakatingas ombi alo ambilami lirini (liriniye)

me-dat ACCID-inspect because from thought-my w.r.t.-him/her/it (liriniye =spec. Fem)

or elliptical:á me cakatingas iniye (....that-gen-fem) “I’m obsessed with/by her”

(tingas ‘look at, look over, inspect’ so the Accidental form with dative “subject”is “overcome (in a bad way) by looking at things= obsessive”; with a nominative subj. it means ‘to nit-pick, be a nit-picker, sambat cakatingas iya na ‘He’s such a nit-picker!’)

>You look lost in your thoughts

ciyondi cakapila(po)

seem/appear-your ACCID-think(-just)

PERHAPS: ciyo˝i te cakapila ‘apparently ~it appears you’re lost in thought’

>I love you although you smell.

Te masisa kambun hašahu

You-dat I-love even-though you-smell(bad)

>You smell but I still love you.

Hašahu mowa anje te masisa.

>I’ll accept if you beg me.--> I’ll take (it) if you beg me

mafilan pun me haturo

I-take if me-dat you-beg